Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fluff for brains

Goal accomplishment! Since the weather continues to unleash its snowy wrath upon us, I have been presented with an opportunity to step out of my comfort zone. And that zone? It regards my headwear. I'm not a hat person. At all. For some reason 99% of hats are averse to my head. I can't really put my finger on why. Could be that my head is really awkwardly shaped compared to the rest of the general populous. Or maybe hat manufacturers are lazy and assume all heads are exactly the same shape and size when they're really not. I have just had the most trouble finding a hat that suits my head well!

I thought my head would be cold and coverless forever! Until just the other week, fate smiled upon me in the form of 100% Italian lamb.

Dr. Zhivago-esque?
 
This is my hat, the very day I purchased it for a quarter while I was yard sale hopping with dearest Ashlea. You actually can't see in the picture, but there are two fluffy matching furballs hanging down from those black cords. Can you guess the very thought I had when I laid eyes on this majestic specimen of headwear? Yes, it was love. It was enough love that I knew one day I would have to bring myself to defy social norms and march brazenly among the public whilst my head is adorned with this helmet of fur. 

Today, my friends, was that day. (Warning: anticlimactic ending ahead) So, it really wasn't all that exciting. I mean, I think I probably would have gotten more weird stares but I think people were too busy with their heads down else they would have been blinded by the snowy gale.

Regardless, I feel accomplished. Like balls of steel have suddenly descended between my legs. I want to keep doing this sort of thing, without worrying about what people might say or think about me. I want to make it so that there's nothing (well, almost nothing) that lies outside of my clothing comfort zone.
 
Food for thought... what's something that you've always wanted to do but it was outside of your comfort zone? What holds you back?

We've all been told that life is too short to be afraid of what people might think or say about us but honestly I don't know if any of us could truly say that the opinions of others aren't a huge reality for us. I wonder what we can do to build our confidence so as to minimize those fears? In the grand scheme of things, does that one guy's scoff really matter?

0 comments:

Post a Comment